This website is no longer being updated. Sign up for our newsletter and learn more about our new direction at AustinCurrent.org.

November saw a 27 percent increase in patients seeking medical attention for sexual assault at Eloise House, which is run by the nonprofit SAFE. In total, 68 survivors came seeking consults, medical care and/or a forensic exam. “That’s significantly higher than last year,” said SAFE Senior Director Juliana Gonzales at the Dec. 2 meeting of the Public Safety Commission. “We hope that means there’s growing community awareness.” Gonzales told commissioners that this time of year is generally quieter than other months. According to data from SAFE, of all the patients seen this past month, four were male and six were minors. Overall in 2019, there have been fewer survivors of sexual assault coming to Eloise House than last year. By November 2018, 636 patients had visited the center. So far this year, 590 patients have visited the center.